Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spin Doctors Sessions- DJ Instynctz








SC: Where you repping?
DI: I'm repping NYC. Hailing from the Bronx.

SC: Who have you worked with/hosted for?
DI: I've worked with numerous artists and DJ's around the world. I've performed on sets with numerous members of MMG and hosted projects for a wide array of underground artists.

SC: What made you change your name from DJ IIISixty?.
DI: One thing I never liked is to be common. Even though IIISixty was unique in its spelling, the meaning behind it didn't stand out for me. Plus, the fact that I started hearing about other DJ 360's in the same area didn't help my cause.

SC: What brought on your reason for making "Monday Nite Mixtape" radio show?
DI: At the time I felt like there was a void in the underground hip hop community. I got the opportunity to start up a show on www.Allcityradionyc.com featuring music from artists I felt were producing good music.

SC: What made you focus on indie artists over major artists?
DI: Indie artists are always looking for outlets. Many times those outlets aren't easily available to indie artists, so I decided to work on building relationships with the artists rising. It's all about growing together and helping each other get to the top.

SC: I see you have done work with artists in Japan. How important is it for artists to try to get their music overseas?
DI: That was a dope project. Probably one of my favorites... The music world is so small when you look at it in internet terms. URL's and social media make reaching out to people in distant places so simple that it's a waste of time and talent to limit yourself to your local environment. Good music is universally accepted so as long as you can speak to an audience with the sounds and mood of your music, the rest is easy.

SC: What are some things that you see artists doing wrong within their career?
DI: I think artists follow trends too often. They try to emulate what's on the radio and what's hot at the moment. Artists that are on top right now got there by being them. An artist's work should always reflect how the artist is as a person. Personal struggles, situations experienced, the road to success, even conversations with other people who have experienced things you aren't familiar with - they all help mold an individual. All those unique experiences make us all different.. so why are 90 percent of rappers talking about the same stuff? Don't be afraid to stand out by being yourself. I also see too much laziness going on with a lot of new artists that feel as if their connects are going to take them to the top. Just because your man is signed doesn't mean you are. Put your own work in. Never depend on anyone. Also, stop networking in the same network. Your career can run around in circles and never get anywhere because you're dealing with the same people over and over.

SC: What are 3 tips you can give to inspiring artists?
DI: - 1.Learn how to gauge people in the "industry". Everyone is a CEO or an AnR and 90 percent of them are full of it just trying to take your money. 2.Stay focused. Make sure your art is something you would do for free. Do it for the love then the money will come. 3.Consistency is key.

SC: Any last words or shout outs?
DI: Look out for plenty of big moves coming this year. Visit www.StreetKhemistry.com Big shout to my family, the entire Specialyst Ent., Torch, Geter K, the Street Khemistry team, all the artists that I've worked with and all the artists I'm about to work with. Shout to Chican George and Spin City DVD on the interview. It's Problematik Status all day! Follow me on all social networks - @DJinstynctz and catch me on Swurvradio every saturday night from 8-9pm EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spincity Radio