Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spin Doctors Sessions- Down Lopaz (www.downlopaz.com) @downlopaz





SC: Where you repping?
DL: Honestly, I rep myself. I was born in Pittsburgh, PA. I got love for that city, but then moved to the DMV and North Carolina is where I reside. I realized people struggle all over and there is no one place that is better than the other or have made me the man that I am. Therefore, I don't go out of my way to rep any geographic area but instead represent myself to the fullest with my grind.

SC: What caused you to create Down lopaz?
DL: I created these websites, because I reached a crossroads in my life. After 10 years of working in music, my best friend (Mr. Drumma) decided to get married. Now my best friend and I had a studio, an LLC, etc. Once he got married, his priorities changed (and I completely understand why) and therefore we shut down operations. I realized that all that time I have come full circle and had nothing to show for it. I had no fame, no fan base, no income, nothing. The only thing I did have was the knowledge I learned the hard way over the years. I decided not to let that go to waste and to not give up my hope of earning a living in the music industry. Once I decided to keep pushing the idea to do this just hit me.

SC: You're pretty blunt on your reviews (lol) and also consider yourself the "Uncle Rukus of Rap". In your opinion, what is the difference between a hater and a critic?
DL: Lol, Technically I'm not Uncle Ruckus. That's Mr. Drumma's segment, but he never found time to work on it. So, I took it and ran with it because I have the same feelings towards rappers. The difference between hater and critic is the ability to give props where they are due. See a hater will hate no matter what but a critic can be convinced by the quality of music. Here's an example; for a while I had nothing positive to say about Lil B The Based God, for good reason though because he continues to drop trash mixtape after mixtape. Yet, when he dropped his album "I'm Gay", it opened my eyes. He isn't that talented, but can make good songs when he tries. I gave him his props on that and when I try to tell people the Gay Album is pretty good no one wants to give it a shot due to preconceived notions or hate. 

SC: In your defense, you give a lot of tips for artists. Do you feel artists have become lazy?
DL: Definitely. Technology and money has whipped most of today's artist. Instead of collaborating with equal peers, they rather send a track over the internet for someone to record a verse. Many artists idea of promotion is to send out ten tweets to people who don't give care about their music. Most don't take the time to memorize their lyrics or even to edit rough draft lyrics. Too many try to freestyle whole mixtapes and think because its a "freestyle" covers up the fact that its garbage! Rappers see the money in the videos and such thinking "those artist made it but they aren't even trying.... I can do that". It is a lazy epidemic and many have the nerve to complain when they don't succeed. 








SC: Staying in that lane, what are some of your thoughts on the current state of hip hop?
DL: Honestly, the current state of Hip Hop is regressing back underground and that's a good thing. The times of the big money, platinum albums, million dollar videos, million dollar deals, etc. are dying out with few exceptions. The reason why I say its a good thing is because once the big money dries up then the quality of music will rise because all those chasing the money not the music will get out the way. I'm sure the game will never get back to making that much money ever again, but will always be relevant in the commercial industry.

SC: What are some pet peeves that artists do that you see (referring to your website and youtube page)?
DL: First of all everything they do has to be about them. They watch a video and say "check me out". They hear a song and say "I can do better". They are featured on a mixtape and say "listen to the track I'm on". I understand they want recognition but the selfish attitudes are crazy annoying. Show others the love you want and you will be rewarded for it. Second thing is I give many artists information that will take years to work on and get better but then the very next mixtape ask "how am I doing now"? Nothing about this game is instant and I give out long term knowledge. Promotion wise, they don't try and then complain when no one gives their music a shot. Honestly, there are many and I could keep going on and on.

SC: What are 3 tips you would give inspiring artists?
DL: First, develop your skills. Just because the commercial industry is terrible doesn't mean it's ok for you to be as well. A lot of these rappers who get on today get lucky, have connections, or many other things that you don't have. Therefore you aren't on the same playing field and need quality music to help push you. Second, only rely on yourself. There are too many out there that only want to shine with you instead of grind with you. Many don't have your best interest in mind, but will pretend that they do. Their actions always give them away everytime. Third, when you are ready skill wise promote your butt off. Promotion is the key to success and if your promotion isn't right you aren't going anywhere.

SC: Any last words or shout outs?
DL: If you want to be a rapper understand the money, women, and notoriety will come when you build a buzz. To build a buzz takes years; I like to say a minimum of 10, so it makes no sense to get caught up in the money, women, and notoriety. If those are the reasons why you want to rap then you won't last. You must be about more. You must love the craft to the point you will do it broke, with your back against the wall, in exchange for a social life, etc. If you're not that serious you are wasting your time. I would like to thank you for this opportunity and tell everyone out there to keep grinding.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spincity Radio